The Kikuyu Grass natural habitat is in elevated areas particularly in soils of volcanic origin. Initially Kikuyu was introduced as a pasture grass because of it’s relatively high protein value but is now used extensively as a lawn grass all around Australia.
New male sterile seeded varieties will be commercially available in the next 12 months.
- Establishes quickly
- Dense coverage reducing weed infestation
- Recovers quickly from damage
- Low fertilizer requirement once fully established
- Very rapid spring green up
- Very vigorous growth
- Requires frequent mowing
- Invasive of other grasses and gardens
- Susceptible to some herbicides